New Jersey-headquartered Verizon wireless company, which offers wireless network and security services, released its 2019 data breach investigation report (DBIR) last week. The numbers are shocking and interesting which must be considered thoroughly. Verizon has made its report on 41,686 incidents happened in 86 countries around the world.
Executive summary of the DBIR stated, “No organization is too large or too small to fall victim to a data breach. No industry vertical is immune to attack. Regardless of the type or amount of your organization’s data, there is someone out there who is trying to steal it”.
Data breach is a criminal act which is carried out by an unauthorized person to steal sensitive and confidential data of an organization. Common data breaches include credit card numbers, social media passwords, and identity cards. Sensitive data breaches include stealing data from corporate websites with the help of hackers to lay down an organization.
Check below what Verizon DBIR numbers say:
- Almost 69% of data attacks were carried out by outsiders
- 39% of attacks were committed by professional criminal groups
- 43% of data breaches occurred within small companies
- 52% of attacks were carried out by hackers and 28% of attacks were of malware
- 33% of attacks were committed by using social media websites
- 34% of data breaches were carried out by internal members
ESET Asia Pacific also released its statics on the same issue last week. The report was made on 2000 incidents happened in 8 countries. There are many similarities between both the reports which indicate data breaches are common in every organization. It is better to look for a data recovery specialist, like datarecoveryspecialists.co.uk, which will be responsible for your data security and privacy.